Our good friends at Xiaomu make nice stuff 🙂 enter in the Mi Box!
Mi Box Review Intro
I bought the Mi Box which is an Android TV based 4k Media Player at the end of last year for $69. It is one of the first times I have waited so long to review something. Of course, a long-term review has it’s advantages, you really get to know the product 🙂
I can without question say it has been the best media player I have ever owned. It’s super tiny and unassuming with a great design at a brilliant price.
What’s important to note is that this device runs’s Android TV OS and not normal Android. This means it is specifically designed for a TV interface ensuring that it works from a design aspect as well as navigation.
The remote features Voice Search allowing you to search for Apps and Movies with ease.
Mi Box Specs and more
The device itself features the following ports:
- Power (Obviously) by means of an AC adaptor.. remember you need an International plug
for SA use.
- USB 2.0 Port for thumb drive or HDD to add more storage
- HDMI Out
- 3.5mm headphone jack
Some specs (for those that care)::
- Output Resolution: Up to 4K 60fps
- Processor: Quad-core Cortex-A53 2.0GHz
- GPU: Mali 450 750MHz
- RAM: 2GB DDR3
- Flash: 8GB eMMC
- System: Android TV 6.0
- Security: Widevine L1 + PlayReady 3.0
- Wi-Fi: 802.11a/b/g/n/ac, Dual-band Wi-Fi 2.4GHz/5GHz
- Bluetooth: Bluetooth 4.0/3.0
- DTS 2.0+ Digital Out, Dolby Digital Plus
- Up to 7.1 pass through
See all the details on their website https://www.mi.com/en/mibox/
My only con really is the lack of an ethernet jack. Now, of course, WiFi works pretty well but IMO you can never beat a direct connection with Ethernet.
All in all a fantastic product especially if you want to stream content. I currently use Netflix, Showmax and plex on this device and thoroughly enjoy my experience.